Saturday, November 01, 2008

Conversations with Calliope- Dialogue with My Muse

(Sunset in Key West)

JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Reflective.
CALLIOPE: About what?
JOE: In our travels yesterday, Carol and I spent the morning with a friend who is dying of cancer.
CALLIOPE: What was that like?
JOE: I was glad we did it but it wasn't easy. She has very little energy and spark left and was only barely able to carry on a conversation. I remember when she was bright, bubbly and full of life. Just an ember remains.
CALLIOPE: That must have been hard.
JOE: It was, but more so for Carol who lost her mother and sister and several other friends to cancer. She also went through a bout of her own.
CALLIOPE: Have you ever had to face cancer directly?
JOE: It depends on what you mean by directly. I struggled through Carol's diagnosis and treatments, but have never had cancer myself.
CALLIOPE: What did you learn from yesterday's experience?
JOE: That it is possible to remain loving and in love during the most extreme challenges. I am writing my next column about it and have it mostly finished.
CALLIOPE: So you plan to share the experience with others?
JOE: I do. The impact was quite profound. Talk with you on Monday.

No comments: