Saturday, November 15, 2008

Conversations with Calliope- Dialogue with My Muse

(Nina Replica)

JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Thank you but it's fading fast.
JOE: It is. I have been a bit of a lazy bone this morning. I got watching the movie Kramer vs. Kramer. Yesterday I watched Marty.
CALLIOPE: Into old movies?
JOE: To some extent. But I have been wondering what makes movies and books successful and was doing a little research on the side.
CALLIOPE: Why this sudden interest?
JOE: James Bell's book, Revision and Self Editing prompted me to pay more attention to successful works and approach them from a critical stance.
CALLIOPE: That seems like a good idea. Are you taking notes?
JOE: I did yesterday with Marty and realized movies are not what they used to be.
CALLIOPE: How do you see them as being different now?
JOE: There seems more emphasis on being slick, fast moving and plot driven rather than character driven.
CALLIOPE: Good observations. How does that affect your approach to writing?
JOE: I'm still evaluating it. I realize what people are used to in movies as well as books. Still I am not sure there is much substance left in most newer works.
CALLIOPE: So what do you plan to do?
JOE: Incorporate some of the more glitzy approaches while making sure my work still has substance. Talk with you on Monday.

No comments: