Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. What have you been up to?
JOE: I decided to install Firefox browser yesterday and ended up taking quite a bit of time getting used to it and organizing my favorites, now known as bookmarks.
CALLIOPE: All well and good. How about your writing?
JOE: I did some editing of Marital Property yesterday. I also thought about the idea John Kremer mentioned in his blog for April 20 about listing reasons for and against buying my book. I was intrigued and gave it some thought but didn't get around to writing any reasons down until this morning.
CALLIOPE: So let's see what you came up with.
JOE: Okay. Ten reasons to buy The Pastor's Inferno are:
  1. Start to understand about how abusive priests think
  2. Take some of the mystery out of the abuse epidemic.
  3. Discover some of the influences on the development of abusive behavior.
  4. Learn how temptation seduces people to abandon their morals.
  5. Understand why moral values sometimes fail to control our behavior.
  6. See the relationship between pride and humility.
  7. Appreciate how people come to ask for help with their shortcomings.
  8. Explore the possibility of redemption.
  9. See how you can benefit from those willing to help, no matter what happened.
  10. Learn more about the human condition.

CALLIOPE: Very interesting. And how about reasons not to buy your book?
JOE: Here goes:
  1. I don't want to even think about evil.
  2. Abusive priests should be punished, not understood.
  3. It's not my problem.
  4. Who cares? The crisis is over anyway.
  5. There's nothing I personally can do about it.
  6. It's up to the pope and bishops to handle.
  7. These priests are hopeless. Lock them up and throw away the key.
  8. They don't deserve a chance for redemption.
  9. Counseling doesn't work for these people.
  10. It has nothing to do with how I live my life.
CALLIOPE: Wow. I'll have to reflect on those. What do you think other readers would make of them?
JOE: I'd love to know. If you run across any muses, or even people who have any reactions, please ask them to come here and share them with me.
CALLIOPE: I will. How about if we talk about this idea some more tomorrow after I've had a chance to think about it?
JOE: Fine with me. See you then.
(Outer gate- The Tower of London)

No comments: