Friday, April 18, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: In high gear. it has been a very busy week and today does not look any quieter.
CALLIOPE: How was the training conference yesterday?
JOE: Interesting. I was looking for some more marketing ideas. Most of the ones mentioned were already familiar to me. I guess I am beginning to know my way around the Internet marketing field, at least a little.
CALLIOPE: Did you learn anything?
JOE: Yes, but it was a bit of a surprise. I learned what was important to me. The focus of the training was on making money. One point early in the presentation was that your book was one of the least important elements and that it was leverage for making real money. I realized that I am not in this for the money. I would not mind earning some from my writing but my main focus is on what I have to say.
CALLIOPE: Which is?
JOE: My mission is to help readers understand themselves and their impact on others. I realize I need to do marketing to make people aware of my writing and also meet my expenses along the way.
CALLIOPE: Noble of you. How do you balance your communication and the business aspects of writing?
JOE: Good question. I have been thinking about that one for quite a while. There have been times I have been tempted to try writing something which would make a lot of money. Then I realized this was a distraction from what my writing is really about. I am struggling to keep a balance and stay focused. I wonder if there are other writers with this same dilemma. I would like to hear from them.
CALLIOPE: So what are you up to today?
JOE: I am off to Tonawanda shortly to do a police candidate evaluation, one of the few remaining psychological tasks I have. Then I will be back at the computer exploring the writing world and my place in it.
CALLIOPE: Any specific goals for today?
JOE: Yes. I have been planning to design a logo for my writing and plan to at least start working on it today. Time for work. Talk with you tomorrow.


(Sitting in Herman Melville's pew- Seaman's Bethel, New Bedford, MA)

No comments: