Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Excellent. I am feeling full of energy and ready to go.
CALLIOPE: To what do we owe the honor.
JOE: I had my last watercolor painting class last night and was quite satisfied with the nautical scene I painted. I think other forms of creative expression enliven my writing.
CALLIOPE: Good point. I hope that is true. I was a bit concerned about you not writing during the revision process for Marital Property.
JOE: I am too. I think it would be safe to say I am still writing even though new ideas are not the focus. In working on the manuscript yesterday, I was able to find some more creative and specific ways of stating what I had in the initial draft. It still feels creative to me.
CALLIOPE: I can't argue with that. I still wonder whether it would be a good idea for you to keep up writing for ideas.
JOE: I think I am keeping my hand in. I still have my biweekly column to write and got out the materials for Commonsense Wisdom for Teens yesterday. I could always work on that or possibly do an occasional short story to keep the wheels from getting rusty.
CALLIOPE: Now we're talking. I guess I would like to see you keep creative writing as part of your daily work rather than just spending the next few months on revision.
JOE: I can't argue with you. I will consider this and see if I can incorporate it into my plan.
CALLIOPE: What plan?
JOE: I am trying to balance revision, creative writing and marketing in my daily schedule. I could use more hours in the day, especially when I have outside commitments as well. Still, I will work to do my best to incorporate all this into the hours I have. Speaking of which, it's time to get to work. Talk with you tomorrow.
(Swordfisherman monument- Menemsha, Martha's Vineyard)


No comments: