Friday, April 04, 2008

Conversations with Calliope







JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Elated.
CALLIOPE: How so?
JOE: I sat down yesterday to write another chapter of Marital Property and could almost smell the ending of the book. I wrote until the last word was typed. Now I have a finished draft.
CALLIOPE: Congratulations. What's next?
JOE: Trying to stay in balance. I will start the editing process. I have already made corrections based on comments of the Lift Bridge Writers' Group to the six chapters I have read to them. Now is the process of crafting the right ambiance, characterization, phrases and words.
CALLIOPE: You sound excited about the prospect.
JOE: I am. I enjoy it. Even though I don't feel I know much about poetry, it seems to me that editing is more like poetry than fiction. I have to be very attentive to the nuances of each phrase and word in a way I don't when writing the story.
CALLIOPE: Good observation. Maybe you need to invoke some help from my sister muses.
JOE: I am happy with your input. If you would like to consult with them as we go along, I would appreciate all the help I can get.
CALLIOPE: Will do.
JOE: Thanks. Now on to the next phase.

(Menemsha Harbor-Lobster Pots-Martha's Vineyard)





No comments: