Saturday, May 31, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Having a little difficulty realizing that I finally reached the end of my second edit of Marital Property.
CALLIOPE: It's certainly a milestone. Next it is off to your readers?
JOE: Not my public but to Carol and Gerry who have been most helpful to me in the past.
CALLIOPE: What do you expect of them?
JOE: H0nesty. I count on them to tell me how the story comes across to them and whether I need to make any major shifts in emphasis.
CALLIOPE: Anything else?
JOE: Yes. They will also tell me when they encounter awkward phrasing and when I am not clear in how I express myself.
CALLIOPE: Good. Have you ever considered using a professional editor?
JOE: The thought has occurred to me. I think there would be advantages and disadvantages. A professional editor would probably be somewhat more objective although my traditional readers have not pulled any punches in the past and I don't expect them to this time.
CALLIOPE: Any other thoughts?
JOE: I fear that a professional editor would look at my work chiefly in terms of its commercial potential, although this might not be entirely fair. My personal editors know me, what I am trying to say and what my goals are. I don't think a professional editor would approach my work in these terms. Of course, I can't say any of this for sure since I have never engaged one.
CALLIOPE: Do you know what other writers' experience has been?
JOE: No, but that's a good question. I would like to find out and will research it in my writer communities. Maybe someone will share their experience here as well. You're all invited. Talk with you on Monday.
(Muir Woods- California)

No comments: