Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Good. I have been busy. I was up at 5:30 to take Carol's son Mike and his partner Joe to Rochester for their bus back to New York. Then Carol and I had breakfast at Scooters and here I am preparing for my interview.
CALLIOPE: What interview?
JOE: The Daily News in Batavia is planning an article on The Pastor's Inferno and is coming here to interview me for it.
CALLIOPE: What do you plan to say?
JOE: I've just been wondering about that. I sent them a copy of Ten Reasons for and against buying my book and might focus on that.
CALLIOPE: Anything else?
JOE: I would like to discuss my writing development to some extent as well as what brought me to write the book. I sent them a copy and some publicity but don't know what focus they plan to take.
CALLIOPE: Any other points you wish to make?
JOE: I would like to stress it's being a novel for the thinking person, my fantasy of what might take place in an abusive priest's mind. I think my main point is that understanding such a priest gives us all an insight into the human condition in which we all live.
CALLIOPE: That sounds like a good approach.
JOE: I hope so. I think it might sell more copies if I could make it sound slick, but that's against my nature and also the purpose of the book.
CALLIOPE: Good that you recognize that.
JOE: I think so. I'll do my best and see what happens. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
(St Paul's Monastery- Pittsburgh, PA)

No comments: