Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How was your weekend.
JOE: Very busy socially. I am so use to working alone most of the time, I found it a little difficult to adjust to being surrounded by people for three days.
CALLIOPE: How did you handle it?
JOE: I tried to keep up with the conversation. However I realized the writing life tends to make me more introverted that I realized. I have become used to the world in my head and more comfortable there than in the world of social relationships.
CALLIOPE: Is that good or bad?
JOE: I'm not sure. The problem is that I am stuck in my own world and am not sure I am on the same wavelength with others.
CALLIOPE: You sound afraid you might be isolating yourself.
JOE: I am.
CALLIOPE: What do you plan to do about it if anything.
JOE: If I lived in a monastery again, I wouldn't be too concerned. Since I write for others, I think it important that I understand how they see the world, their hopes, fears and wishes.
CALLIOPE: I couldn't agree more. I'm still not sure what you plan to do.
JOE: All I can think of is to spend more time with people and ask them about their perceptions rather than dwelling so much on my own. I'll try it for a few days. I would also like to know if this is a problem for other writers and how they deal with it.
CALLIOPE: Good. Let me know how it works out.
JOE: I will. On to today's writing adventures.
(Sand Wash- Batavia, NY)

No comments: