Thursday, March 06, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Quite well thank you.
CALLIOPE: What brings on your good fortune?
JOE: My cold finally seems to be receding with prompting from my new neti pot routine. I was also quite productive yesterday.
CALLIOPE: What did you produce?
JOE: My priority was my workshop Writing for the Heart which debuts today at Genesee County Mental Health Association.
CALLIOPE: What does it consist of?
JOE: I plan to talk about why we write, for whom we write, what we write and how we write. I will also bring examples of various type of writings I have done including this blog, a novel, short story, newspaper column, journal entry and memoir.
CALLIOPE: Sounds pretty comprehensive. How about poetry?
JOE: That's the one type of writing which eludes me. I think I might bring along a poem but I don't write poetry. I'm not quite sure why, but I just don't.
CALLIOPE: Do you think it doesn't fit your disposition?
JOE: Possibly. I see poetry as "word painting" which is very precise. I can appreciate good poetry but don't seem to have the patience to hone my writing to the point that good poets do.
CALLIOPE: Well at least you accept this limitation.
JOE: I do. I think I will stick with the kinds of writing I like and am better at. See you tomorrow.

(Dome- Gugenheim Museum- New York)

No comments: