Monday, March 03, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Better. I struggled with my cold on Saturday. Yesterday was better and today I feel almost back to normal.
CALLIOPE: Good. Any work on writing?
JOE: With how I was feeling, I spent some time on nutrition and health. I read Dr. Oz's book on staying young.
CALLIOPE: Did you learn anything useful.
JOE: Yes. But much of it I am already approaching through Weight Watchers.
CALLIOPE: Good. What about writing.
JOE: I reviewed the materials I have on marketing and also found a good article in Writers Digest for older writers. It was encouraging and had some good tips.
CALLIOPE: Such as?
JOE: Use your experience and don't try to compete with young writers.
CALLIOPE: How's Marital Property coming?
JOE: I have been doing quite a bit of thinking about it and finally feel I am ready to write about my couple's crisis.
CALLIOPE: You have been stuck here for a while, haven't you?
JOE: I have not thought about it as being stuck, just being at a very critical juncture in the story and wanting to get it right.
CALLIOPE: This seems different for you. Before now you concentrated on writing the story and decided to save the polishing for later. What changed your approach?
JOE: I hadn't thought of it that way, but you are right. I don't know what changed my approach and it seems like I am wasting time.
CALLIOPE: I think you are. Why not just write what comes to you and edit later as you have done successfully before.
JOE: Good suggestion. I'll write what I have today and see what happens.

(Cognac still, Tio Pepe Winery, Herez, Spain)

No comments: