Monday, December 31, 2007

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning, Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good Morning, Joe. Ready for the new year?
JOE: I guess so. I plan to spend today organizing things so I can find them next year rather than tripping over them and having to search for them when I need them.
CALLIOPE: A noble aspiration. Do you plan to do your whole house?
JOE: That would be a bit much for me all at once. I think I will start with my writing room and do another perhaps once a week or so.
CALLIOPE: Sounds manageable. What did you do yesterday?
JOE: I had planned to work on marketing but ended up going to Unity Church in Rochester and having my grandson over to make cookies and watch him play video games.
CALLIOPE: Did you learn anything at Church?
JOE: Steve DeNunzio gave the lesson. He talked about context, stewardship and living in the now. All three topics were good reminders for me. I tend to spin my wheels sometimes.
CALLIOPE: How do his thoughts apply to your writing?
JOE: Sometimes I have to stop to think why I write or why anyone writes. Yesterday was a chance to consider these topics.
CALLIOPE: Why do you write?
JOE: To help people consider their lives. I do this with fiction as well as nonfiction. I thought I should make it part of the introduction to my writing so readers know what to expect and don't waste their time just looking to be entertained.
CALLIOPE: Noble of you. Do you think it is worth making an issue of it?
JOE: Yes. That's who I am. If people read my writing I want them to know they can expect to be invited to look at the human condition and their own lives in the process.
CALLIOPE: I will be interested to see how that works out.
JOE: So will I. On to cleaning and organizing.

(Nineteenth Century Church- Genesee Country Village)

No comments: