Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning, Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning, Joe. How did the dinner go last night?
JOE: Both the bread and soup were very well received. I was relieved.
CALLIOPE: How so?
JOE: Last week I couldn't bake to save my life. On Thursday I burned a loaf of bread, in an automatic bread machine no less. On Saturday, my cranberry bread was a flop literally, only two inches high. My attempt at Russian tea cakes yielded a baking pan with one big flat cookie. I must admit the crumbles were good on ice cream, but not what I intended.
CALLIOPE: To what do you attribute the difficulty?
JOE: I think I was so absorbed in the process of getting signed up with Booklocker that I was good for nothing in the kitchen. It's the first time I can remember being good only for writing. I guess there are times when my passion overtakes me. I spent most of yesterday working on various publishing and writing tasks.
CALLIOPE: Did you do any work on Marital Property?
JOE: Cynthia woke up and spent a whole chapter in bed thinking about developments in her marriage.
CALLIOPE: And today?
JOE: I plan to work on a final edit of The Pastor's Inferno this morning. I have to go to Rochester on a couple of errands a little later. I am hoping to be back this afternoon to write another chapter of Marital Property.
CALLIOPE: Sounds like a plan.
JOE: I'm excited about it and ready to get going.

(The attic)

No comments: