Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good afternoon, Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good afternoon, Joe. I was wondering if you would show up today.
JOE: I had full intentions of getting here. I started by shoveling some snow this morning. Then I had to cancel my writers' meeting tonight in light of iffy weather. I also finished my column for Saturday. Now here I am.
CALLIOPE: Better late than never. What about your writing yesterday?
JOE: I finished the chapter between Dennis and his attorney, essentially a business meeting about the business of divorce, befitting both of their personalities.
CALLIOPE: So he is finished with New Bedford and on the way back to Martha's Vineyard?
JOE: He is.
CALLIOPE: What's next?
JOE: I think it's time for a family meeting where everyone can share their points of view and concerns.
CALLIOPE: What do you expect that to accomplish?
JOE: Nothing definite, I want to use it to show how the different personalities each create different perceptions. No one can resolve the issues on their own. They must find a way to bridge their differences.
CALLIOPE: How do you expect that to happen.
JOE: Maneat videri as we used to say in Latin. It remains to be seen. I was hoping you might have some ideas and let me know through my characters.
CALLIOPE: Kind of you to ask. I'll get to work on it and see what I can come up with.
JOE: Good. I'll get to work on the next chapter.

(Hy-Line Ferry)

No comments: