Monday, December 03, 2007

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning, Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning, Joe. What's new?
JOE: First, what's old. On Saturday, I somehow added my ISP homepage to my restricted sites. I fiddled with it and finally got it restored this morning. So I was back where I started.
CALLIOPE: The joys of technology. What about the book?
JOE: I finished the chapter between Cynthia and her sister in Scituate. I also prepared background information for Dennis's meeting with his attorney, although I might need to look up a few more things about the process of divorce in Massechusetts.
CALLIOPE: Is he going to file for divorce?
JOE: I don't really know. I haven't written that far yet. I don't think he is quite at that point but as you know characters tend to tell their own story, perhaps with a little help from you.
CALLIOPE: I do know. I was just wondering if you did.
JOE: I learned that a while ago. There is no point in trying to make characters do anything. The story just grinds to a halt or becomes untenable in some other way.
CALLIOPE: Respect the will of your characters. Anything new on the publishing front?
JOE: Not really. I tell anyone who is willing to listen that I am in search of an agent. I guess it never hurts. I have not heard from either of my contacts. I think I might have a phone number for my publishing friend. I might call him if I can find it and work up the nerve.
CALLIOPE: What's the alternative?
JOE: Keep working on agents on my own and try to be more specific as well as creative in my query letters.
CALLIOPE: Any other possibilities.
JOE: One. I will be at the author extravaganza at Lift Bridge Books in Brockport next Sunday afternoon. There will be a bunch of other authors present and I will seek out their advice and possibly contact information.
CALLIOPE: Sounds like you have a plan for this week.
JOE: I do. I also have a column to write on Life's Mysteries. I tried working on it yesterday but it is harder than I thought. Time to get to work.

(Vineyard Haven Harbor- Martha's Vineyard)

No comments: