Friday, December 14, 2007

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning, Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning, Joe. How goes it this morning.
JOE: Pretty good. I read the newspaper, have had breakfast and did a crossword puzzle. I think my mind is coming to life.
CALLIOPE: Good. Tell me about yesterday.
JOE: I worked on the final edit for The Pastor's Inferno, got some exercise and wrote another chapter of Marital Property.
CALLIOPE: Sounds like you are keeping busy. What chapter did you write?
JOE: It was some action following the morning argument, with Dennis tracking down a marriage counselor and discussing it with Cynthia.
CALLIOPE: How did that go?
JOE: I think pretty good. They are both frustrated enough to try about anything. Their lack of ability to communicate is becoming more evident even to them.
CALLIOPE: Did you plan to have them seek counseling?
JOE: Not really. I knew it was a possibility but I let them decide for themselves. Sometimes people are surprised when I talk about letting my characters decide what to do.
CALLIOPE: I don't see why. Trying to force them to act a certain way just makes them more difficult to write about. Sometimes they will just stonewall you and refuse to do anything.
JOE: I'm aware of that, especially with these two headstrong characters. They are going to do what they want to do or nothing at all. I guess I better see what they are up to today.
(Joey and Greg on the bulldozer)

No comments: