Monday, June 30, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Ready to go for another week. I have two ideas for this Saturday's column and an idea for my writing in general.
CALLIOPE: What are the column ideas?
JOE: One is a lighthearted presentation of my observations in a mall on Saturday of a girl photographing a chandelier. The other is about finding your passion.
CALLIOPE: Quite a contrast. Which do you think will win out?
JOE: Hard to say. Maybe I will write both and then decide.
CALLIOPE: Sounds ambitious. How about the idea for your writing?
JOE: At Unity Church yesterday, Steve D'Annunzio gave his farewell lesson. In it he stress the quote from the bible about your heart being where your treasure lies. I don't remember the exact quote.
CALLIOPE: What did you take from it?
JOE: It is a familiar quote. I have heard it before but have not taken it to heart as my treasure. For me, it means that whatever I focus on becomes the most important part of my life.
CALLIOPE: How does that relate to your writing?
JOE: Last week I wondered about how to redevelop my passion, or perhaps develop it for the first time. My passion is whatever I make the center of my life. In reading well published authors, I realized they wrote with passion and put everything they had into what they wrote. Although I have tried to write about things I cared about, I have not written with passion.
CALLIOPE: And now?
JOE: I will write passionately. My goal is to put my whole self including thoughts, feelings, observations and sensations into what I write. Talk with you tomorrow.
(Raven- Tower of London)

No comments: