Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Okay.
CALLIOPE: You sound a little glum. What's bothering you?
JOE: I told you a while ago about the short story contest I entered. I thought I wrote a very good story.
CALLIOPE: And?
JOE: It won no prizes, not even an honorable mention.
CALLIOPE: So?
JOE: Now I am beginning to doubt my writing. I have noticed more difficulty lately being creative.
CALLIOPE: Have you thought about seeking some other reactions to your writing?
JOE: I have. Two people I respect are currently reading Marital Property and will no doubt return honest appraisals. I will also post Child Bride and Or Not To Be in two on-line communities for feedback. I am also meeting with Lift Bridge Writers Group and will share one of my stories, probably Child Bride.
CALLIOPE: Do you think the religious criticism overtones of Child Bride had any influence on the contest judges?
JOE: I wish I knew, but they don't offer any feedback. I do plan to read the winners and see how they differ from my writing.
CALLIOPE: Good idea. It's always good to consider the source in assessing opinions.
JOE: You're right. Maybe I'm selling myself short. I will defer judgment. Talk with you tomorrow.

(California Shoreline)

No comments: