Friday, June 20, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. What's on your mind today?
JOE: Antici----pation.
CALLIOPE: Sounds like an interesting story.
JOE: Perhaps. Several days ago my daughter asked me to sit on a panel today of people touched by mental illness. The audience consists of law enforcement personnel who will deal with mental illness in their work.
CALLIOPE: Are you prepared?
JOE: I didn't write anything out but I do have a general idea what I want to say. I will talk about wrestling with the idea of presenting, my background as a psychologist and some of my interactions with the police when various family members were beset by acute mental illness.
CALLIOPE: Sounds like you have a lot to say. Have you ever thought of writing about it?
JOE: I have written a couple columns and pieces for the Mental Health Association. I am afraid that going further would embarrass my family members. I guess it is up to them to tell their stories when they are ready?
CALLIOPE: Wise move. I hope it goes well today.
JOE: It's about time to leave. I will pause here and finish our conversation when I get back.
CALLIOPE: Good luck.
---
JOE: Hi. I'm back.
CALLIOPE: How did it go.
JOE: Quite well. Once I got started I managed to dispel my anxiety completely. This was the first time I ever talked without notes. I decided to trust myself and it went fine. Now to catch up on everything else. Talk with you tomorrow.
(Bridge in Central Park- New York)

No comments: