Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are how this morning?
JOE: Excited.
CALLIOPE: How so?
JOE: As you know I have been wrestling with creativity, my value, and other related anxieties.
CALLIOPE: I heard. Have you reached any conclusions?
JOE: I have decided to follow Guy Finley's advice and stop worrying about what I am missing and focus more on what I do have to offer as I am right now.
CALLIOPE: You said as much yesterday. How did you spend the rest of the day?
JOE: I finished my painting of the Block Island Lighthouse and was quite pleased with my ability to remain patient, completing it over the course of a week or so. I also spent some time yesterday looking up sites where teens posted to get a better sense of how they write and how I could write to appeal to them.
CALLIOPE: Any great discoveries?
JOE: Not yesterday. I found quite a few sites and noted them for future reference. I think they will be helpful in regaining my "teen voice."
CALLIOPE: Is that what made you excited?
JOE: No. I still had many of the questions which have been in my mind about how to obtain teen writing for my book and how to get permission to use it without alienating teens. This morning as
I reviewed some of what I had discovered, I realized that there was already a wealth of teen writing available on the Internet. All I have to do is to distill what would be useful for my book and obtain teens' permission to use their writing.
CALLIOPE: It sounds like there is still quite a bit of work to do but now it seems more possible.
JOE: Exactly. I am looking forward to the challenge and adventure. Talk with you tomorrow.
(Charlotte Beach- Rochester, NY)

No comments: