Friday, June 13, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: A little more optimistic than I have been lately.
CALLIOPE: To what do we owe the honor?
JOE: I was just wondering that myself. Maybe taking a little time out to regroup has helped. I also found some marketing links in Writer's Digest, inspirational writing and a writing contest, all of which piqued my interest.
CALLIOPE: I hope they all help. How are you coming with the videos?
JOE: I have been ready to start. Unfortunately, construction hammers, saws and vacuums buzz upstairs and it has been too noisy to record my videos. I think they will have to wait until it is quieter.
CALLIOPE: There's always something, as Gilda would say. So what are your plans in the mean time?
JOE: I'm trying not to plan too much at the moment. My lighthouse painting continues to take shape. I am working on it a little at a time trying to pay close attention to detail. I am doing better in this regard than I have in the past.
CALLIOPE: Do you see any connection between your painting and writing?
JOE: Both involve creative ideas for inspiration, however in painting I usually work from a model or photo, whereas in writing inspiration comes from within. I am beginning to discover that with both pursuits, putting any old thing down on paper results in an amateur product. Although inspiration forms the start, the polished product, at least for me, results from going back and paying close attention to details which bring my writing and painting to life.
CALLIOPE: Have you discovered this while painting?
JOE: You guessed it. During the painting class I took a while ago, I struggled with concentration on detail. However, when I was finished, I had produced paintings of which I could be proud.
CALLIOPE: Do you think you can apply this to your writing as well?
JOE: I think so. I have been questioning my writing ability lately. Now I am wondering whether I am using all my inner resources to produce a polished and interesting piece. I will work on this. Talk with you tomorrow.
(Original Erie Canal Lock- Lockport, NY)

No comments: