Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Feeling energized.
CALLIOPE: By what?
JOE: I followed my good friend Gerry's advice yesterday and started looking at the styles of popular writers to see what makes them successful.
CALLIOPE: Is this a new venture for you?
JOE: Not really, but I am looking in different places now.
CALLIOPE: Tell me about it.
JOE: Before, I think I had a somewhat snooty attitude about good writing, feeling that "literary" writers were somehow superior to "popular" writers.
CALLIOPE: So have you lowered yourself to consider "lesser" writers.
JOE: I have. Gerry suggested I start with Danielle Steele. I resisted. He insisted. Finally I got her book Safe Harbor from the library and started reading it yesterday.
CALLIOPE: What did you discover?
JOE: There is a reason she has sold over fifty novels. Her writing is immediately accessible to ordinary writers. She writes the way most people think, including observations of mannerisms, mixing together reflection, behaviors and speech in a way which I think mimics everyday experience. I think she meets writers where they live.
CALLIOPE: Sounds impressive. Will you continue your explorations?
JOE: I have a few other books I will explore and carefully note each author's voice and how they approach readers. An interesting challenge. Thanks Gerry.
(Sunrise- Nantucket Sound)

No comments: