Saturday, June 14, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. Did you just get up?
JOE: I think you know me better than that. I was up before five, read the paper, walked with Carol, served her breakfast on the porch, watered my plants, did some painting, wrote today's journal entry and now here I am.
CALLIOPE: Impressive. And I thought you were loafing.
JOE: I must admit the thought did occur to me. I thought you could survive for a day by yourself. Once I got painting, I felt more enervated and ready to do some writing, at least with you.
CALLIOPE: I'm flattered. Is that all you plan to do today?
JOE: No. My story, Child Bride was posted a few days ago in Critique Circle (www.critiquecircle.com.) I plan to read the critiques posted and take them to heart. I am trying to be more observant, especially of myself and my inner workings.
CALLIOPE: What prompted that?
JOE: To some extent, reading Eckhart Tolle's Power of New and The New Earth. Yesterday I received a copy of Guy Finley's book, The Essential Laws of Fearless Living and started reading it last night.
CALLIOPE: What have you discovered so far?
JOE: The message is similar to Tolle's but to me the writing is more accessible. His essential point is how to stop worrying about all the things you think about yourself and concentrate on just being who you are without worrying about it.
CALLIOPE: Sounds good if you can do it.
JOE: I hope to. I think my recent funk came from fear that I wasn't a good enough writer. If I'm hopeless I might as well give up writing. Finley points out that entertaining such thoughts gives them life and lets them take over who I otherwise could be.
CALLIOPE: Interesting point.
JOE: I plan to read more of his book over the weekend and will let you know what I discover on Monday.
(Riverboat- Erie Canal)

No comments: