Saturday, June 07, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Hot, but otherwise fine.
CALLIOPE: Did you accomplish anything yesterday?
JOE: A swim, but not much else. I had little ambition yesterday and didn't even follow through with the few plans I had. However I did enjoy an outing last night with my grandson and favorite clown.
CALLIOPE: I guess we all deserve a little down time. How about today?
JOE: I don't have much time. I am baking bread and have coleslaw to prepare for this afternoon. I think the most I will accomplish will be to post my column on my website. Tomorrow I have little on the agenda and will get serious about planning my videos. I spent some time yesterday reading Maugham's Of Human Bondage, recommended for its description, particularly of characters.
CALLIOPE: And your conclusion?
JOE: Cindy was right. He does an excellent job. Recent literary fiction of my acquaintance is tricky and intricate but does not seem to have much of a plot. I think that is a missing element.
CALLIOPE: Why do you suppose this is?
JOE: Maybe life is seen as not having much purpose any more. I guess I'm not really sure. This phenomenon does not seem to appear in short stories I have read.
CALLIOPE: Something to consider. Anything happening with Commonsense Wisdom for Teens.
JOE: I have posted questions on several sites about the need for and process of obtaining teen permission for inclusion of their input.
CALLIOPE: Is there a consensus of opinion?
JOE: Questionnaire data seems OK to include but narrative seems to require parental input. The process remains somewhat of a mystery. But I will give it further thought. Talk with you Monday.
(Dishes drying- Batavia, NY)

No comments: