Saturday, January 05, 2008

Conversations with Calliope



JOE: Good afternoon, Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good afternoon, Joe. I thought you might be away.
JOE: No. I'm still here. Yesterday and today have been quite busy.
CALLIOPE: How so?
JOE: There were some communication problems about my Medicare Advantage program. It took me a while to get them straightened out, but I think it is finally settled.
CALLIOPE: Anything else going on?
JOE: Yes. I called Norton about my request for permission to use quotes from Dante's Inferno.
CALLIOPE: What did you discover?
JOE: They sent out a contract on Thursday. When I asked the nature of the contract, I learned that they wanted a fee of $200 to use 163 lines.
CALLIOPE: So, what do you think about that?
JOE: Not much. I think it is rather steep although I have not dealt with such permissions before. I decided to delete the quotes and publish the book without them. My only regret is that I wasted a month waiting to hear from them.
CALLIOPE: Where do things stand now?
JOE: I submitted my text just now to BookLocker. I am expecting a cover template so I can fill in my own cover material. It's exciting to be finally getting on with it.
CALLIOPE: Good luck. I hope the process goes smoothly.
JOE: So do I. Now I have to send out a post to remind my writing group of our meeting on Tuesday night. Talk with you on Monday.

(Cover design for The Pastor's Inferno)

No comments: