Monday, October 29, 2007

Conversations with Calliope

JOE: Good morning, Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning, Joe. What's up this morning?
JOE: I had to struggle to meet my writing goal on Saturday.
CALLIOPE: Tell me about it.
JOE: I planned to at least finish the chapter with my wife and her sister on the beach. I put it off all day until I had barely enough time to finish it. I knew I would be mad at myself if I didn't and just set down and wrote. At first I said I would at least write a little but once I got going I was compelled to finish the chapter.
CALLIOPE: How did that feel?
JOE: Like an accomplishment. Sometimes I have to wrestle with myself to get going but once I do, I enjoy writing.
CALLIOPE: Sounds like an inertia problem. I guess you just have to push yourself to get going sometimes.
JOE: It reminds me of my Uncle Dick's Model T. Most of the time he had to get it rolling down a hill and kick it into gear.
CALLIOPE: I guess times have not changed all that much. How about today?
JOE: I have been working on ideas for several chapters. Cynthia's sister suggested consulting a lawyer which I had not considered but now I think both spouses had better see one. I also have more to do about the children and a supper scene with the whole family.
CALLIOPE: Sounds like it is moving along pretty well.
JOE: It is. I just have to make sure I get my fingers moving every day.
CALLIOPE: Well, don't let me get in your way.
JOE: I won't. Talk with you later.
(Nineteenth century printing press-Genesee Country Village)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, Glad to see you struggle with ineria, too. If I had won that battle late this summer maybe I'd have "Journey With Jeff" in my hands right now?!?!? I'm enjoying following your conversations with Calliope day by day. See you soon. Sybil