Saturday, October 06, 2007

Conversations with Calliope

JOE: Good morning, Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning, Joe. Nice to see you functioning in the morning. What news.
JOE: I got back to my Marital Property manuscript yesterday. I didn't do much actual writing though.
CALLIOPE: What did you spend your time doing?
JOE: I think I told you this story was set in Martha's Vineyard.
CALLIOPE: Do you think you know the island well enough to use it for your setting?
JOE: I think so. I have never lived there but have visited often enough to be familiar with it. I can also get the Vineyard Gazette on line twice a week to keep up with local events. I found a report of a heated meeting in Menemsha about who should be wholesale distributo for for local fish.
CALLIOPE: So how did you start with the setting.
JOE: I remember looking up at a house above Menemsha Pond last month and decided that was where my fictional family would live. I also got topographical maps of the area and checked on map directions to help with details like ocean breezes, sunrise and sunset and have already incorporated them into the story.
CALLIOPE: Speaking of the story, what is happening?
JOE: Everybody had breakfast and there was another to do on the deck in which the details of the conflict became evident. Then both spouses retreated to their own spaces.
CALLIOPE: So, one step at a time. What's next?
JOE: I'm not quite sure. That is up to my characters. I will start writing and see what develops.
CALLIOPE: It sounds like it's time for me to get to work.
JOE: I would appreciate your help.

No comments: