Monday, October 15, 2007

Conversations with Calliope

JOE: Good morning, Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning, Joe. How was New York?
JOE: Great. I was in the middle of the publishing world but did not do anything directly toward publishing.
CALLIOPE: Did you do anything indirectly?
JOE: Yes. I talked with a friend to whom I had given the name of an independent filmmaker in Hollywood whose contact information I had lost. He will send me her information.
CALLIOPE: Are you going Hollywood now?
JOE: It's hard to say. I didn't think it would hurt to see if she might be interested in converting my novel to a screenplay. If not it would not be a bad idea to be able to tell publishers it is under consideration.
CALLIOPE: You mean your last novel, The Pastor's Inferno?
JOE: Yes. I know it gets a little confusing. I thought about muses while I was gone. I almost went to see Xanadu but we ended up seeing the Spelling Bee. But I did think back to the movie and the role the muses played in it.
CALLIOPE: Somewhat fanciful but at least we got some consideration.
JOE: I also read Heather Sellers opinion that at least in her experience, if she took one day off from writing, her muse would take three off. That sounds a bit spiteful. You wouldn't do that to me, would you?
CALLIOPE: That's her experience. Between us, I will always be there. But if you don't write every day, you will get out of practice, a little like any creative artist. I will always be here, you just might have to look a little harder after taking a break.
JOE: I will remember that and try to write a little something each day, even if it is not my current magnum opus. While I was watching Van Morrison perform Saturday night, I wondered how often he practices to create such a show.
CALLIOPE: Practice is always a good idea. What are you planning today.
JOE: A scene in which the two children talk with their mother about her difficulty with their father. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
CALLIOPE: Good. See you then.

No comments: