Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Conversations with Calliope

JOE: Good morning, Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning, Joe. How is the writing going?
JOE: It's going well. I wrote another chapter yesterday, the one we were discussing. A conversation about the marriage between the mother and her two children.
CALLIOPE: No difficulty?
JOE: No. I had in mind what I wanted to do and did it. I had no idea what the actual conversation or even specific topics would be but it went smoothly.
CALLIOPE: How did you approach it?
JOE: I imagined I was in the room listening to what each person had to say and what each was thinking and just wrote it all down.
CALLIOPE:How do you know when a chapter is finished?
JOE: Most of my chapters tend to take place in one room. I think of them as movie scenes and have an idea what should take place. When the action for that scene is finished, so is the chapter.
CALLIOPE: I was wondering how you prepare to write a chapter.
JOE: I usually start thinking about the next chapter right after I finish the last one. I also try to fall asleep at night thinking about it. I don't wake up with the whole dialogue in mind, but I somehow know I can sit down and write it and I can when the time comes.
CALLIOPE: You realize that while you are sleeping, I am busy working on the details and leaving them in your mind to find while you are typing?
JOE: I guess I didn't know this for sure but certainly suspected it. I think we make a good team. Thanks.
CALLIOPE: My pleasure.

No comments: