Friday, October 26, 2007

Conversations with Calliope

JOE: Good morning, Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning, Joe. How goes it today.
JOE: Good. I learned what I needed to about Medicare supplement plans yesterday for the moment. I also weathered a board meeting.
CALLIOPE: Do you find all this distracting from your writing?
JOE: Yes and no. It takes time away from my writing but it does give me some other things to think about. I met several people in various stages of dealing with Medicare and got to know a little about their lives. I also got a sense of all the things lacking in our mental health system.
CALLIOPE: So what do you do with all that information?
JOE: File it in case I need it at some point. I have come to realize I can't save the world but knowing its ills helps me focus on things I can address through my writing.
CALLIOPE: How do you see your role?
JOE: To help people think about ways to envision their lives and also to realize that there might be other ways to view things and to interact with people.
CALLIOPE: Do you feel you are accomplishing anything?
JOE: Sometimes I do. I receive favorable comments from people I meet in my wanderings. But sometimes I am overwhelmed with the problems in the world and wonder if anything can make a difference.
CALLIOPE: I guess all you can do is your part.
JOE: I agree. I am trying to stay focused on that rather than all that needs to be done. If I do my part, maybe others will do theirs.
CALLIOPE: So how about the book?
JOE: I finally finished the chapter between my husband and his brother. It took a while, but the writing came easier yesterday. I guess it varies from day to day.
CALLIOPE: Yes it does. How about today?
JOE: I have fewer distractions. All I have on my schedule besides writing is a trip to the farmer's market, working out at the Y and doing some laundry.
CALLIOPE: So what's the writing plan for today?
JOE: I will focus on my wife meeting with her sister and finding a conducive spot on Chappaquiddick for their conversation.
CALLIOPE: Have you been there?
JOE:Once I drove out to the end of it with Carol stopping to look at Ted Kennedy's famous bridge spot. It is about as far from civilization as you can get on the Vineyard, but should be a good spot for a heart to heart.
CALLIOPE: I am looking forward to seeing what develops.
JOE: So am I. I guess it is time to get on with it.
(Ferry from Nantucket to Oak Bluffs)

No comments: