Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Conversations with Calliope- There's Always Something

(Creekside Path- Leroy, NY)

JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: I was reflecting yesterday on Yvonne's death, the fragility of life and implications for my future writing when my brother called.
CALLIOPE: What did he have to say?
JOE: He recently had knee surgery for a torn meniscus.
CALLIOPE: Did it go okay?
JOE: All except for the pre-op tests. He was found to have a very high white blood count which turned out to be due to his having a form of leukemia.
CALLIOPE: I'm sorry to hear it.
JOE: Thanks. It's little early to tell what the future holds. He is having more tests next week and plans will be made pending the outcome.
CALLIOPE: How is he taking it?
JOE: I think he is still somewhat in shock but seems to be taking it in stride. I think it is difficult for a surgeon to be a patient. We're both hoping for the best.
CALLIOPE: Are there any indications for hope?
JOE: There always are. He has a less virulent form of leukemia and does not have any symptoms except fatigue.
CALLIOPE: How are you taking it?
JOE: I guess it has not really registered yet. I'm worried about him of course but will do anything I can to help although I'm not sure what I can do except be supportive right now. I will at least do that. Talk with you tomorrow.

No comments: