Monday, March 30, 2009

Conversations with Calliope- A Cup of Loneliness

(Spring Briers)

JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Pretty good. I started on the next assignment Julia Cameron suggests in Vein of Gold.
CALLIOPE: Which is?
JOE: Picking out some of the themes from my narrative time line and wring about them in more depth.
CALLIOPE: And you chose loneliness as the first?
JOE: I did. This theme keeps recurring in my thoughts ever since I wrote about it last week.
CALLIOPE: What have you learned by examining it in more depth?
JOE: I'm not finished yet, but I am starting to appreciate the depth of my isolation.
CALLIOPE: What do you think led to it?
JOE: Part of it was my father's treating me as if I was not worth anything, or at least that's how it felt to me.
CALLIOPE: That would certainly make it difficult to trust others to accept you.
JOE: Exactly. I also think that moving from the world at large to an artificial seminary environment cut me off from most anything I had learned to value in myself.
CALLIOPE: Any other factors?
JOE: My father's valuing commitment. Once you said you would do something you did it. I think I stayed in the seminary for nine years to satisfy him to some extent.
CALLIOPE: What are the implications of all this for you?
JOE: That's what I haven't finished yet. Perhaps I will have more to share with you tomorrow.

No comments: