Thursday, March 26, 2009

Conversations with Calliope- College Years

(Fishing Boat- Antigua)

JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Still wading through my time line. I just finished writing about my early twenties.
CALLIOPE: Any new discoveries?
JOE: I think my realization about not having close high school friends influenced my relationships after leaving the seminary.
CALLIOPE: How so?
JOE: I was lonely and desperate to have a girl friend. Since I had no experience in relationships with girls as most boys do in high school, I was like a fish out of water.
CALLIOPE: How did it end up?
JOE: Not very well. My first date was set up by a friend who also left the seminary. She turned out to speak no English and my Polish was nonexistent.
CALLIOPE: Did it get better?
JOE: I met a nutty girl and one who turned out to be mentally ill.
CALLIOPE: No one in their right mind?
JOE: One, but for only for a single date. She was a lovely girl, and we resonated well. Unfortunately she lived in the country, I had no car and could not get to her on my own. The person we relied on for a ride had no sense of what we both wanted and liked to tell jokes and drink in bars. It just didn't work.
CALLIOPE: Sorry to hear that. Do you think these experiences influenced your writing?
JOE: I think so but that's another story. Talk with you tomorrow.

No comments: