Monday, March 16, 2009

Conversations with Calliope- Goodbye to Yvonne

(Tangled Roots)

JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How was your weekend?
JOE: Saturday was rough.
CALLIOPE: Tell me about it.
JOE: Carol and I went to a wake and funeral service for her cousin Yvonne.
CALLIOPE: What happened?
JOE: She had struggled for years with alcoholism and finally succumbed apparently to an overdose of pain medication.
CALLIOPE: Sorry to hear it.
JOE: It was a tragedy waiting to happen. She had a great zest for life but not much control over her attraction to chemicals.
CALLIOPE: Did her death surprise you?
JOE: Not really but it did sadden me to see her life lost to addiction which remains one of the mysteries I have not been able to crack in all of my years as a psychologist and a writer.
CALLIOPE: Are you still working on it?
JOE: I'm not working on it so much as wondering about it.
CALLIOPE: Do you plan to write any more about it?
JOE: I wrote a novel about sexual addiction which just engendered more questions. I suppose I will work on it some more. Talk with you tomorrow.

No comments: