Thursday, February 28, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you this morning?
JOE: Well, but I don't feel too ambitious. I am having a hard time getting started this morning.
CALLIOPE: Any particular reason?
JOE: None that I can think of. I guess I am just in a lazy mood.
CALLIOPE: What do you think you can find to motivate you?
JOE: Let me look at the writing quotes I found yesterday. Hmmm...Here's something by Isaac Bashevis Singer, "Every creator painfully experiences the chasm between his inner vision and its ultimate expression. The chasm is never completely bridged. We all have the conviction, perhaps illusory, that we have much more to say than appears on the paper."
CALLIOPE: How does that apply to how you are feeling right now?
JOE: I want to get on with my novel, Marital Property, but am at a crossroads.
CALLIOPE: Tell me about it.
JOE: I am nearing the end of the story. Although my couple has made good progress, I feel there is a need for a crisis to test how far they have come and I am having difficulty thinking of one.
CALLIOPE: Where do you think you might look?
JOE: I started this project by defining the traits of my characters. Part of what I discovered was each of their weaknesses and blind spots. I think a good crisis would plunge both of them into their worst fears about themselves and each other.
CALLIOPE: Excellent. Does that give you some ideas?
JOE: Yes. I will go back to my initial character descriptions and find out what kind of a conflict would hit both of them between the eyes. I'd better get going while I have the momentum.

(Rocky Mountains- Colorado)

No comments: