Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Conversations with Calliope- Roots and Branches

(Tree Branches)

JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Energized.
CALLIOPE: How so?
JOE: I told you I work up that way yesterday. I struggled all last week to write anything. Yesterday ideas flowed easily from my mind to my fingertips and into cyberspace.
CALLIOPE: Glad all systems are go. What's on your mind this morning?
JOE: One of the insights I had yesterday dates back to incidents which took place forty five years ago. Thoughts about what happened arose from thinking about meeting next week with an old classmate from the seminary I last saw in 1965.
CALLIOPE: Tell me about the insight.
JOE: I had been living in a monastic order and became increasingly more in conflict with the powers that be. I have struggled off and on over the years to understand what happened.
CALLIOPE: And you finally figured it out?
JOE: I think so. At least I have an idea. Those in charge were seeking to rediscover the roots of the order. I was on top of the tree, more interested in branches and new growth. Mutual distrust evolved from not being on the same page.
CALLIOPE: An interesting thought. How can you use it now?
JOE: Obviously it is too late to reconcile anything. But this might be a good theme for a story, or perhaps more than one.
CALLIOPE: Let's watch for one.
JOE: Sounds good for me. Talk with you tomorrow.

No comments: