Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Conversations with Calliope- Dancing with My Grandmother

(My Grandmother)

JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: I woke up with a smile on my face.
CALLIOPE: Where did it come from?
JOE: I dreamed about my grandmother last night.
CALLIOPE: Tell me about it.
JOE: She died in 1966 and I was not able to go to her funeral. I lived at her house for the first three years of my life. In my dream, she was at a party in my current life. I danced with her creating joy in both of us.
CALLIOPE: A nice memory.
JOE: Also a fantasy. I don't remember ever dancing with her when she was alive.
CALLIOPE: Fantasies are the foundation of art in my opinion.
JOE: I share that opinion with you. Much of art is based on dark fantasies and memories as a way of resolving leftover conflicts.
CALLIOPE: I can't argue with you there.
JOE: I think pleasant fantasies and memories provide optimism to carry us through difficult times.
CALLIOPE: No argument there either.
JOE: I guess I'll take my fantasies and get on with the day. Talk with you tomorrow.

No comments: