Monday, April 13, 2009

Conversations with Calliope- New Horizons

(Sunset over Provincetown)

JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. I trust you had a nice Easter.
JOE: I did. Carol and I took a long walk exploring the hidden beauties of Leroy.
CALLIOPE: What else did you do?
JOE: I read some of Thomas Moore's Dark Nights of the Soul.
CALLIOPE: Did this relate to your exploration of AmeriCorps?
JOE: Unexpectedly yes.
CALLIOPE: Tell me about it.
JOE: I have discovered the possibility of a placement at our local arts council but have not had a chance to explore it yet.
CALLIOPE: How did that relate to your reading?
JOE: I found a passage in Moore's book which fit my search nicely. "The most important thing is to become more acquainted with the realm of art, religion and dream, where images are not merely cerebral but are rooted in the human imagination and in deep-seated emotions."
CALLIOPE: Interesting that you should encounter such a quote.
JOE: Serendipitious, I would say. My writing has focused on my own and others' thoughts and not sought so much to include other realms of personal experience. Maybe that's what has been missing in my writing.
CALLIOPE: Could be.
JOE: I will sit with this idea a while and see what happens. Talk with you tomorrow.

No comments: