Friday, December 05, 2008

Conversations with Calliope- Dialogue with My Muse

(Geese on Oatka Creek)

JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Fine. I'm in high gear today I also have a surprise for you.
CALLIOPE: I'm ready.
JOE: Here goes.


An Ode to Calliope
by
Joseph G. Langen

Back when I floundered in faint hope of finding my way in the forest
searching for ways to express what so grabbed me and spun my deep thinking,
you came along to shine light on what stirred in me, mindlessly musing,
waiting for me to start waking and know that I needed to write it.

You and not I could at last for once venture to speak through my writing.
Stirring to life I could now find a voice so long hidden in silence.
What has lain dormant inside me refusing to come to the foreground
daring to challenge my wordless and courageless way of not seeking?

Me as a spokesman for challenges forming to question life's torpor?
How could I finally find my weak voice and thus let it now free me,
daring to note my own carefully hidden, forgotten life message?
Can I now, must I now say what I thought must stay locked up inside me?

You have now found me and made me stop twiddling my thumbs as I notice
all of life's treasures and bounties which call me to finally voice them.
Help me now share them with readers who travel alongside my path stones seeking together some ways to make holy our journey in friendship.

CALLIOPE: Wow! I'm flattered. Thanks for the recognition. Did you write that in dactylic hexameter.
I did. I know it is a favorite meter in epic poetry which you champion.
I'm impressed.
JOE: You're welcome. It's only fair. Without inspiration I doubt I would have anything to write.
CALLIOPE: That's what muses are for. Did you spend the whole day yesterday writing this?
JOE: No. Phil Davis of Authors on the net suggested an amazon program called "So you want to...: I tried it and developed a list of readings regarding priest abuse, including my own of course. I also discovered a series of reader communities on a variety of topics and started posting there.
CALLIOPE: Do you think that will benefit your writing?
JOE: What better place to hang out than with readers already in an online bookstore?
CALLIOPE: I can't argue with you there. What do you have planned for today?
JOE: I'm recovering from a late night revision of the cover for my new book, Navigating Life. I hope it will be ready soon. I feel a need to relax today.
CALLIOPE: Sounds like you earned it.
JOE: I think so. Talk with you tomorrow.

No comments: