Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. I missed you yesterday.
JOE: It was quite hectic. On Monday I wandered around Rochester with my brother from Hawaii. In the course of our hegira, I bought a new printer and set it up yesterday morning. At first it would shoot out three pages, eat one and spit it out and print nothing. After two hours on the phone with someone who seemed to be living in India (He wasn't sure how to spell "street,) I was as far as it printing out a jumble of colors, none of which were intended. I ended up exchanging it for one that works.
CALLIOPE: And then?
JOE: My goal yesterday was to write a Thanksgiving column on gratitude. It took me quite a while to get back into the gratitude mood which initially motivated me.
CALLIOPE: So you finally got it done?
JOE: I did, but that was about all.
CALLIOPE: I see. What about today?
JOE: I plan to work on my Christmas booklet this morning and see if I can get it to a draft stage. This afternoon, I will work on the novel.
CALLIOPE: At least you have a plan.
JOE: I do. And I better get going on it before I run out of day again.
CALLIOPE: Have a nice Thanksgiving.
JOE: I will and thanks for being you.
(Sculpture at Charlotte Beach-Rochester, NY)

2 comments:

Florine said...

who is your muse?

Joe Langen said...

Dear Florine,
An intriguing question. I started thinking about muses when I saw the movie Xanadu. I once wrote a story about neglecting my muse. I haven't decided whether my muse is part of me, part of the collective unconscious or some other force. In any case, it helps me focus my writing by having a muse with whom to discuss my writing. I guess that's about the best way I can put it. Thanks for inquiring.