Thursday, November 08, 2007

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning, Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning, Joe. How are you this morning?
JOE: Feeling pretty much back to normal. Yesterday was a busy one.
CALLIOPE: What did you do?
JOE: First, I finished the chapter I was working on: dinner with the family. I don't write very many scenes with a bunch of people, so it was different.
CALLIOPE: What makes it so hard?
JOE: I don't like using "he said" or "she said" tags. So I have to make it clear who is talking in other ways. It's not so hard with two people, but a little more complicated with a group of people.
CALLIOPE: Sounds like a challenge.
JOE: It is. Yesterday I wrote and sent out a column on keeping law and order in balance. I also worked on revising my private practice web site. I decided I need to earn a little money to pay for some of my writing projects. It was quite a project since I could not find my original files and had to reconstruct them before making changes. If you are interested it is at http://www.slidingotter.com/.
CALLIOPE: You're not getting wealthy writing?
JOE: Not yet. It would be nice, but that's still down the road, or at least I hope it is. In the mean time, I have enough money for basics but not for things like extensive travel or up-front money for projects like self publishing if it comes to that.
CALLIOPE: Sounds like you're looking ahead a bit.
JOE: I am. No point waiting until everything comes to a standstill before deciding what to do. I believe in being at least a little prepared.
CALLIOPE: Sounds like a good idea. No starving artist life for you?
JOE: No thanks. I have to be careful with my money now but I'm not in the poor house. Well, back to work.

(Railroad tracks- Batavia, NY)

No comments: