Monday, November 05, 2007

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning, Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning, Joe. How have you been?
JOE: A little under the weather the last couple days. I thought I was getting a cold but it seems to be passing.
CALLIOPE: The immune system wins again.
JOE: I hope. I received two rejections from agents and am still waiting for the third reply. I put in quite a bit of efffort to choose appropriate agents but not a nibble from my efforts so far.
CALLIOPE: So now what?
JOE: I am still waiting to hear from the third agent and from my film producer friend. I also sent a post to my publishing contact asking him if he knew any agents I could approach. I have pretty much reached the conclusion that in order to retain agents, one must be among the already famous or be referred by someone they trust.
CALLIOPE: If anything comes of these efforts, I assume you will continue with the traditional publishing route.
JOE: Of course. If not, I will probably try a few more agents on my own but at the same time look more seriously at self publishing. I have already started brushing up on my PageMaker skills.
CALLIOPE: Anything different from the last two books?
JOE: I don't have the funds to just use a printer and am considering POD publishing. I have the skills to produce print-ready copy and a cover. So it would not be too expensive. In that case I will need to get serious about marketing and publicity.
CALLIOPE: Are you looking forward to this?
JOE: No. But I think it might be the only way I can sell any books. When I just get them printed, I tend to give them away.
CALLIOPE: You won't get rich that way.
JOE: I know it. But that's not my primary reason for writing anyway. Maybe I need to find another source of income.
CALLIOPE: Well, do what you have to.
JOE: I will give it some thought.
(View of Rocky Mountains- Estes Park, CO)

No comments: