Monday, November 19, 2007

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning, Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning, Joe. How was your weekend?
JOE: Pretty good. I had planned to finish the chapter I was working on Saturday but got involved again in the agent search.
CALLIOPE: How did that go?
JOE: I confirmed my sense about one agent and sent my publisher friend a post about him asking if he knew him and would recommend me to him. I haven't heard from him yet.
CALLIOPE: So what about the writing?
JOE: I didn't get to it. I also had to bake a loaf of bread for my life partner's aunt. I also worked on a Christmas booklet I am developing as gifts and possibly for sale. However I did get to the chapter on Sunday and was able to finish it longhand since I was not near my computer.
CALLIOPE: Have you written your material longhand before?
JOE: I did a while ago. I wrote one whole book longhand and then transposed it to the computer.
CALLIOPE: What was that like?
JOE: I try to just concentrate on the story now and am saving the editing for later. When I write longhand, it is difficult not to edit while I am transposing it. It distracts me somewhat from the story.
CALLIOPE: That is a consideration. How about today?
JOE: My brother is in town from Hawaii and I plan to spend the afternoon and evening with him. I jut got back from breakfast with my daughter. I guess I won't have much time today for writing. I also need to compose a column for Saturday.
CALLIOPE: It looks like another day off from writing.
JOE: It does. But I am hoping that talking with him might give me some writing ideas. I had a talk on the phone last night with his girlfriend who was very positive about The Pastor's Inferno. It was nice to get her feedback. It keeps me going. Well, time to prepare for my journey.

(Sculpture at Charlotte Beach, Rochester,NY

No comments: