Friday, February 20, 2009

Conversations with Calliope- Lessons from a Nude Beach

(Tiki Hut- Orient Beach, St. Martin)

JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. What are you up to today?
JOE: I think I might have mentioned that I would be trying a new schedule.
CALLIOPE: You mean one with a day off from regular activities?
JOE: Exactly. Glad you are paying attention.
CALLIOPE: So tell me about the day off.
JOE: Today is the first one. Rather than spending my time poring over internet goings-on, I will spend some time thinking, reading and reflecting.
CALLIOPE: Sounds like a good idea. What reflections do you have? Anything about a nude beach?
JOE: How did you know? I was thinking about Orient Beach lately.
CALLIOPE: Tell me about it.
JOE: Orient Beach is the only one touted in the Caribbean as being clothing optional. I had wanted to visit it several years ago although my traveling companions weren't enthusiastic about the idea. This year they suggested it.
CALLIOPE: What was it like?
JOE: I suppose about what I expected. People of all ages and body types walked the beach in an unselfconscious way, very much in contrast to our schizophrenic attitude about nudity and sexuality.
CALLIOPE: Sounds interesting. What impressed you the most?
JOE: Seeing a father and his young daughter running down the beach in innocent glee. The image of the burned girl running from the massacre at MyLai in Vietnam sprung to my mind in contrast. Talk with you tomorrow.

No comments: