Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How was your writers' meeting last night?
JOE: Very good. We had a new member, Carol, who is gifted in my opinion and who is also an insightful, respectful contributor.
CALLIOPE: Always a nice addition. Did you receive good feedback on your story?
JOE: Good in the sense of helpful, yes. I worked on the story carefully but still made mistakes others noticed instantly. Some observations touched on personal writing style but were still worth considering.
CALLIOPE: So now what?
JOE: I will make revisions and post it as my Saturday column. This will be a new direction for me. If it goes over well, I will probably start posting stories on a more frequent basis.
CALLIOPE: What advantages do you see this providing?
JOE: Sometimes I don't notice what is happening around me and struggle for a column topic. If I can rely on my imagination I don't think I well ever run out of ideas.
CALLIOPE: But this story was about noticing details of ordinary life.
JOE: It was. I have come to realize that an interesting article or story comes from the intersection of observation, imagination, creativity and invention.
CALLIOPE: Quite a crossroads.
JOE: I'll say. That's what I have been busy considering lately, especially how to juggle all these elements and bring them together to produce writing people will want to read.
CALLIOPE: You seem to be up to the challenge.
JOE: Sometimes it seems daunting, but I'll do my best. Talk with you tomorrow.
(Breakwall- Dunkirk Harbor)

No comments: