Friday, July 18, 2008

Conversations with Calliope-Dialogue with My Muse


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. I was wondering what kept you.
JOE: Sorry I'm late. I ran across a series of videos portraying the effect of our cruel use of animals and discussion of how it affects our lives at Transformation of Energy blog (http://gracefulgnosis.blogspot.com.) I also found a quote from Tolstoy, "As long as we have slaughterhouses, we will have wars."
CALLIOPE: Quite profound.
JOE: I thought so. As much as we would like to think we resemble Native Americans and others who thanked animals for giving us their lives to sustain us. We prefer to hide from the slaughter and the cruelty which accompanies it.
CALLIOPE: What do you make of Tolstoy's quote?
JOE: I think any violence, even done on our part without our direct knowledge inclines us toward violence toward each other.
CALLIOPE: Quite a realization.
JOE: Yes, and I think this includes sexual and verbal violence as well as physical.
CALLIOPE: Do you think violence towards animals explains our violence toward each other?
JOE: I wouldn't go that far but I think there is a connection.
CALLIOPE: What do you plan to do about it?
JOE: Be more aware of my connection to animals through food, clothing and entertainment. I will also continue to make people aware of their effect on others and influences on how we act.
CALLIOPE: Sometimes I wonder if it's worth the effort.
JOE: I do too. But not making the effort just allows us to become more callous. Talk with you tomorrow.
(Bailey- Allegany River)

No comments: