Monday, July 07, 2008

Conversations with Calliope


JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How was your weekend?
JOE: Very nice. There is something relaxing about water no matter where it it. I awoke early on Saturday morning sharing the Allegany River with only a circling eagle. It was one of the high points of the weekend.
CALLIOPE: Did you enjoy being with people for a change?
JOE: I did. Many of them I knew only marginally. But our hosts were good friends of many years.
CALLIOPE: Now that you are back to work, what plans do you have for today?
JOE: I plan to review the information I gathered from the Writers Digest book, The Craft and business of Writing. It is one of the most informative and practical books I have encountered in some time. It gave me useful information about voice as well as editing, both of which are current concerns of mine.
CALLIOPE: Any other plans for today?
JOE: I would like to continue working on a revision of Marital Property. I don't think I told you I decided to write it as a series of first person accounts, somewhat in the style of Barbara Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible.
CALLIOPE: Have you started on it?
JOE: I did last week and completed a few chapters. I was pleased with the result.
CALLIOPE: How do you think this change will affect the book?
JOE: It feels more immediate to me and hopefully will bring more life to the characters than evident in my limited omniscient approach.
CALLIOPE: I will be interested to see what develops.
JOE: So will I. Perhaps I will post the first chapter on one of my websites for anyone interested. Time to get going. Talk with you tomorrow.
(Sunrise on the Fourth of July- Allegany River)

No comments: