Friday, May 01, 2009

Conversations with Calliope- Humility and Semantics

(Sitting in Herman Melville's Seaman's Bethel Seat)

JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Still digesting yesterday's lesson in humility and semantics.
CALLIOPE: I think there might be a story behind that statement.
JOE: How astute. I told you about my go around last week with some traditionally published authors.
CALLIOPE: I recall. You called them elite authors and decided you must be a pica author.
JOE: Correct. I decided to start a group on Linked In (www.linkedin.com) for pica authors.
CALLIOPE: And?
JOE: And nothing. Prospective group members either had no idea what I was talking about or didn't care. No response at all.
CALLIOPE: Perhaps a little of your own hubris showing.
JOE: Perhaps. In any case I removed the Pica Authors Group and replaced it with a group for Non-Traditional Authors meeting with immediate enthusiasm.
CALLIOPE: What do you think made the difference?
JOE: Setting aside my vitriol and appealing to the needs and interests of fellow non-traditional authors.
CALLIOPE: Congratulations on learning an important lesson.
JOE: Thanks. I'll keep you posted. Talk with you tomorrow.

No comments: