Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Conversations with Calliope- Nazis Were Human Too

Great Siege Tunnel- Gibraltar

(Great Siege Tunnel- Gibraltar)

JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. Today's title has an odd ring.
JOE: Jarring isn't it? I based it on a recent speech President Obama gave at Buchenwald.
CALLIOPE: What did he say?
JOE: Among other things he reminded us that "the perpetrators of such evil were human as well and that we have to guard against cruelty in ourselves."
CALLIOPE: A chilling thought.
JOE: It is and one which stuck in my mind.
CALLIOPE: How do you account for evil?
JOE: From the research I have seen, it seems to come partly from heredity and partly from environment.
CALLIOPE: Do these factors entirely explain evil?
JOE: Not to me. Mystery remains in my mind as to why some people follow their inclinations and others don't.
CALLIOPE: It seems to me that this is one of the mysteries of the ages.
JOE: Me too. But we would rather separate ourselves from evildoers considering them as animals, sick or crazy rather than see any similarity to us.
CALLIOPE: I can't wait to see the article.
JOE: It will be posted on my website fairly soon I hope. Talk with you tomorrow.

No comments: