Saturday, June 06, 2009

Conversations with Calliope- Death of a Mentor


(Passionist Mission Crucifix)

JOE: Good morning Calliope.
CALLIOPE: Good morning Joe. How are you today?
JOE: Reflective.
CALLIOPE: About what?
JOE: I received news that an old mentor died yesterday.
CALLIOPE: Were you close to him?
JOE: His name is Thomas Berry. I haven't talked with him in many years since I left the monastery. I tried contacting him but he was in ill health although I did communicate with his sister.
CALLIOPE: How did he help you?
JOE: After being in the seminary and monastery for nine years I was ready to leave but had no idea how to go about it or what to do next.
CALLIOPE: And?
JOE: Father Thomas helped me to decide what was important to me and to plan some initial steps after leaving.
CALLIOPE: So you left with some sense of direction?
JOE: I did and have always been grateful for his guidance. I have tried to help others as he helped me.
CALLIOPE: A fond memory.
JOE: Indeed, as well as an inspiration. Talk with you on Monday.

No comments: